Thursday, September 08, 2005

obsessed completely

so tonight is the season premiere of the OC! i can hardly contain myself. skyla and i are total junkies, along with my parents. it's weird remembering when we first started watching the OC with my parents. i guess you're never to old to enjoy pop culture references coming from characters who are suppose to be in high school.

kudos to the creator Josh Swchartz for bridging the gap between my generation and the baby's of the 80's to early 90's. i watch for the witty repartee between seth cohen and summer(and pretty much everyone else). the story lines keep me interested, but it's the dialogue that keeps me coming back. last season wasn't as good as the first season, but that's why there's always a sophomore slump. i liked how Ryan had a little more personality last season, he actually held his own against seth. Summer was always great in both season one and season two. i was a little unsettled that she appeared so frail in the second season. i guess once you make your blip on the radar screen of hollywood it means you have to show some clavicle. i don't get it. eat something already!

in season one marissa and ryan were the central characters that kept the story moving, but for me it was much more about seth's quest to woo summer. it's there relationship that i identify with more. the biting sarcasm, and the underlying chemistry that they so obviously have with each other was the pinnacle of season one. season two just started that whole process over again, not adding that much to it, or even changing the dynamic. it seems that the writers just thought we wanted to see more of the same. yes they were still great together, but there wasn't anything like "the valley" (so meta!) that made us laugh watching them watch themselves on tv. classic stuff.

also i was a little upset with sandy (tv's greatest dad) when rebecca came on the scene. the fact that there was even an teeny tiny thought of infidelity seemed to cheapen the character that we had idolized from season one. in this link here, Josh Schwartz(the writer/creator) kind of explains were he was going with that. kind of interesting, but it didn't really translate the way he had hoped.

anyway, i could write a ton more, but actually need to get to work(i actually have something to do. go figure!). just thought i'd share my thoughts on the OC experience. skyla and i are planning a little party for the two of us tonight. perhaps some pizza and caffeine free diet coke. who else is excited? anyone?

3 Comments:

Blogger Casson said...

I forgot that its tonight! Anna and I watch the show to. I can't believe you'd admit it so openly and freely. I do agree with your comments though, Sandy totally disappointed, Summer is showing way too much clavicle... gross. So I guess its pizza and Pepsi for us too. But I still feel a little ashamed for admitting it.

2:02 PM  
Blogger scs said...

You guys are all crazy--Crazy! This is what I get for cutting my cable: no idea what the hell anyone is talking about. Maybe I'll Netflix the Season One DVD, if it's as good as you crazies are saying.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had my stinkin Practicum until TEN and I was so excited to watch it!!!!!!

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home