Wednesday, September 21, 2005

i thought you were mine?

as i was watching survivor the other night, between commercials on the OC, i got a little sad. not because i felt sorry for the 15 minute nobodies, not because Jeff Probst wants out of this contract because he's tired of playing "Indiana Jones light", not because i'm jealous that everyone is forced to lose weight (ok, maybe a little on that last one). no, i was sad because it was set in guatemala.

most of you know that my parents were missionaries in guatemala for 18 years and i myself spent 14 years down there. Since the age of 4, guatemala was my home. no we never lived in the jungles, never lived in the sweltering heat, never played tug of war for immunity(unless you count the time my mom and i played while she tried to give me immunity shots), never was my or my families flame extinguished by a rival tribe during council meetings(unless you count the time i was expelled from high school at a council meeting). nope, nothing like that.

i'm sad that people will now know about guatemala. sure they'll see the edited version on tv, and only one location, but it's the fact that people will now know about it. i liked it better when i had that little place to myself. i liked it when people were naive about it like my roommate Micah.

Micah: Where are you from?
Me: Guatemala.
Micah: Wow, the island of Guatemala! That's cool..
Me: Yeah, isn't it?!


yeah, that was my roommate.

i have such fond memories of guatemala that i have shared with those people who are close to me. it was always a place, i felt, could only be reached through me. you can't go to guatemala without me! that's crazy! i'm the only one who knows where it is! it's my secret.

i wanted it to stay that way, although i didn't know i did until survivor picked the jungles of guatemala to showcase their competition. why not mexico? costa rica? the teeming jungles of Colombia that comes equipped with it's own indigenous predator, the druggis lordious? why don't i feel proud that they would pick my pais? my country?

you want to know?!

because nobody bothered to ask ME if it would be ok.



3 Comments:

Blogger scs said...

Don't worry benji; I don't watch that Survivor crap so you are still my only link to guatemala. And the picture on your blog my first and maybe last glimpse. It looks great, by the way.

3:20 PM  
Blogger benji said...

yea! sullivan you rock! if you do go, let me know and i'll go with you! :)

3:42 PM  
Blogger scs said...

Awesome. (sometimes I like to use California words to remind myself that I am not from new england.)

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home