Friday, September 30, 2005

what was your favorite?


so i've been thinking alot about my childhood(i wonder why?) and the experiences i had growing up. and i started thinking about movies, books, or television shows that i watched or read that left their mark one way or another.

i remember when we (my brother Andy and I) were little and coming back to the "states" from guatemala (i'm sure alot of you can relate), the one thing we wanted more than anything, was our saturday morning cartoons. we would get up early, jump started by that internal cartoon clock, and race to get dressed, make our beds, comb our hair and brush our teeth. getting all this out of the way so that our parents had no reason to disturb us as we sat too close to the tv, forever requiring me to wear glasses.

i remember being at my grandparents house in their tv room, pouring cap'n crunch into my bowl; hearing those golden nuggets of goodness fill the bowl like the sound of glass; cutting the roof of my mouth but not caring because it was so wonderfully bad for me.

we would watch nonstop from early morning till a little after lunch, when the old western tv shows would come on. we'd watch shows like grape ape, george of the jungle, smurfs, MASK, alvin & the chipmunks, scooby-doo, popeye, the littles. it almost seems impossible to watch that many cartoons, but we did, i swear! my brother and i were so jazzed on saturday morning cartoons that our grandparents would tape them and send them to guatemala. we could have watched them anytime, but we only watched them on saturday.

i remember when we first unpacked the tv in our house in guatemala, my brother asked my dad if it was the "english tv". talk about addicted!

there was one cartoon in particular that was our favorite. I'm not sure why but the godzilla cartoon was the most memorable. partly because it had this giant lizard that could breath fire and fought "totally radical" monsters and partly because of the shows inspired theme song. it sounds just the way i remember it! if they had just gotten rid of godzooky, the idiot son of godzilla; the bob hope to godzilla's bing crosby. actually that's an insult to bob hope, how about godzooky was Balki Bartokomous to godzilla's "cousin" Larry. yea, much better. besides that abomination, that cartoon was the one we missed the most.

in retrospect, i think it had more to do with being at our grandparents house, knowing that all summer long we would have our saturday morning cartoons with no tape delay!

what were your favoites? which do you remember most?

7 Comments:

Blogger scs said...

The Smurfs were my favorite, but I wasn't allowed to watch them because my dad thought the magic was anti-Christian. Yeah! whatup, evangelicals!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Toddy said...

Oh man, I couldn't watch Godzilla because of that damn Godzooky. Ruined the whole thing for me.
I was into Thudar the Barbarian. "Ariel, Ukla, we ride!"
I also liked Dungeons and Dragons but could never get over that the one pain in the ass kid only had a shield.

7:31 AM  
Blogger benji said...

I wasn't allowed to watch dungeons and dragons, or even thudercats cause of the spells and wizards. i did sneak an episode once and remember this round building that wasn't very big and when they went inside it was bigger on the inside than on the outside. pretty weird.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

the theme song was unreal! i could just see him coming out of the water and roaring. we had to get up early for godzilla. was was it that the best cartoons were on the earliest and the worst ones were on later? how many times did we make it thru a whole "land of the lost" show? maybe once? don't forget this if it wasn't the westerns that were on, it was the dubbed kung-fu, inspiring all our underwater fighting, not to mention making "kill bill" absoulutely hysterical. oh, and godzooky is "buddy lembeck--now bibleman" to gozilla's "scott baio's charles".

11:30 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Me and my brother used to get home from school right as the thundercats were coming on. We watched it everyday. Nobody has really mentioned the obvious ones. He-Man, Transformers, G.I. Joe (with all those laser guns how does no one ever get shot?). What about Underdog? I used to love Gummy Bears, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers. Then later there was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Ninja's kick ass), X-Men, ....

I could go on, and on. That's what happens when you were raised by a pack of ravenous, wild televisions.

2:19 PM  
Blogger huntsmanic said...

i really liked some of the older syndicated re-runs: loved bugs bunny & company; adored the justice league. i had a particular eye for aqua man, and later apache chief.

all of this ignores my most enthusiastic obsession: Jem (pronounced "Jem!!!!").

what Jem did was to, like, re-set my entire value system and hold my hand as i plunged headlong into a very lonely boyhood. it was the kind of lonely that sparkled, though, so it was fine.

4:06 PM  
Blogger benji said...

Jem was truly outrageous, truly, truly outrageous. i will never get that out of my head....

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home